Recommendation Letters: Authors and UK-based companies

Hi,

I have a question about the recommendation letters.
Reading through the updated Global Talent Visa guide, I see that there’s no requirement your recommendation letters should be from a person who’s working in a UK-based company. However, I came across some articles and videos from different lawyers that claim that at least one of the letters should be from a person which is UK-based.
Now, maybe my interpretation is wrong, but I thought that it should be enough for a letter to be from a person who works in an overseas branch of a company that is represented (has its branch) in the UK. Am I right?

Another question I have is about the seniority of the person who’s going to recommend you.
Can it be a Manager/Senior Manager or Project Manager or Co-Founder?
Or it’s mandatory for a person to be CEO, COO, CTO, etc.?
Again, from reading the guide it seems to me that Tech Nation will take not only the current position the person holds, but also another aspects, like how many years he/she has been working in the industry and so on.

Can it be a person from my current company?
Or it’s mandatory that I should ask for a recommendation outside of my current organisation?

Appreciate your help.

Many thanks.

Hi all,

The question about if the company should be UK-based or not was cleared after reading the Andrii Seleznov’s post here.

However, I’m still not sure about the following questions:

Can it be a Manager/Senior Manager or Project Manager or Co-Founder?
Or it’s mandatory for a person to be CEO, COO, CTO, etc.?

The thing is that I have a few persons that are Project Managers/Scrum Master/Portfolio Managers with many years of experience, but I’m not sure if the Recommendation Letters from them would be enough to satisfy the Tech Nation’s criteria.

And again:

Can it be a person from my current company?
Or it’s mandatory that I should ask for a recommendation outside of my current organisation?

Thanks,
Yury

Hi @Yury,
Answer to 1st: Better to have little higher up than Managers.
Answer to 2nd: Yes anyone with great standing in your current company can reccomend you.

However, in any case, his or her credentials must be exceptional to vouch for your exceptional talent.

1 Like

Hi @Yury,
As @Mukesh_Adhvaryu correctly advised - managers are not eligible to provide you with a strong letter of recommendation. So, definitely, try to find someone with a higher role.

At the same time, I must say, that the managers of big tech companies with global scope, can be considered good. For example, if you will get a letter of recommendation from Manager of EMEA region at Facebook, it will have a value higher than you will get a letter of recommendation from a CEO of a small UK-based startup. Here is a little bit more on the topic.

These people are ideal candidates to give you recommendation letter (as one of 10 supporting documents)

Yes, it is allowed to have one letter of recommendation from a person, working at your company. But not more than one. I know a person who provided two letters of C-level managers of the same company and got rejections. A pretty similar situation exists when you provide only documents about achievements in your company, recommendations from your colleagues in the same company. I wrote about this issue here.

Yes, you definitely must have recommendations from the outside of your company. And you are right, in this post I wrote that it is allowed to have letters from people who are not based in the UK. But your link to this post seems to be broken :cry: so I decided to put its correct one.

Hopefully, this will help you :+1:t3:.

Sincerely,
Andrii Seleznov

1 Like

Thanks @Andrii_Seleznov and @Mukesh_Adhvaryu for your replies.

Well, I’ll see what can I do, cause all my professional career has been spent in large corporations.
Currently I’m working at Accenture, so there’s a chance I can get a Recommendation Letter from one of the Senior Managers there.
And, I guess, I need to review my professional network contacts to see if I can find a CEO who can give me a recommendation… As I said, I have many Managers, PMs and Scrum Masters from different companies who know me well and can provide me with a good recommendation, but due to my corporate profile it’s complicated to find a C-Level executive for this purpose.

Kind regards,
Yury

1 Like